Thank you so much to the room parents that planned and helped out to make our Halloween party a great one! Can you guess who is behind the masks???
Monday, October 24, 2016
- Be sure to send homework and the signed homework sheet back to school on Fridays
- Please send your child's halloween costume to school on Monday. All makeup should be done at home.
- Memorial's Halloween Parade is scheduled for 9:30 on Halloween
- Continued learning to "tap to read" and "tap to spell" with CVC words
- Continued framing our sentences with capitals and end marks
- Learned how digraphs are two consonants that work to make one sound. We learned wh, ch, th, sh & ck
- Focused on trick words. Remember students need to be able to read and spell these words accurately. They will come home on a list of other words. Keep these and practice these words. (a, the, and, his, is, as, has, in & into)
- Learned how to make our small moment stories come to life by making our characters move and talk
- Finished Elmer and the Dragon. Began The Dragons of Blueland.
- Continued solving story problems
- Learned how to solve compare problems
- Continued learning addition strategies: doubles, doubles plus 1 and addends in any order
- Here is an explanation of doubles
- Continued with Scholastic News
- Read several stories about Christopher Columbus
- Wrote facts about Christopher Columbus
- Talked about "calming down" strategies in Open Circle
Monday, October 3, 2016
- Don't forget to return poem notebooks to school
- Please send the red home/school folder to school everyday
- No school October 10th: Columbus Day
- No school October 12th: Yom Kippur
- Continued learning different centers: listening center, word work center and many more
- Completed reviewing the consonants with v, x, y & z
- Began learning how to "tap to read" & "tap to spell" with short vowel (CVC) words
- Learned how to "frame our thought" with a capital and end mark
- Continued writing small moment stories; learned to write "seed stories" not "watermelon stories"
- Learned how writing partners can help plan and revise our stories
- Finished "My Father's Dragon" and began "Elmer and the Dragon"
- Continued working on "Add To", "Put Together" and "Both Addend Unknown" story problems
- Began working with "Take From" story problems
- Continued to work on ways to show our thinking
- Began focusing on strategies for solving addition problems. Our first strategy is counting on; using numbers and number lines
- Used legos to show counting on
- Talked about "expected" and "unexpected" behaviors and how it makes people around us feel
- Read scholastic news magazines on "friends" and author "Kevin Henkes"