Things to Remember:
- Please remember to sign up for a conference time
- Please send your child's costume to school on Friday for our Halloween Parade
- Start practicing those math facts on flash cards! Start with all facts that add up to 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. They should be fluent. If you have to count more than 3 seconds it is not fluent. Once you know what is not fluent practice them nightly if possible. We work on strategies and games throughout math, but reinforcing the fluency is needed at home!
What's Been Happening in Room 11
- Continued to work with the short vowel I "I...itch...(make short i sound)"
- Build words with the -ig & -ip
- Learned the -ck rule. We use -ck at the end of words with short vowels.
- Worked with -ack & -ick
- Learned the short o sound "O...octopus...(make short o sound)
- Worked with -op & ock
- Learned the new word wall words: big, no, go, so, back, he, look, we, if, on, you & mom. Please practice reading and writing these words at home.
- Continued working on learning more poems
- Continued writing in writer's workshop
- Worked on making our stories come to life! We learned to make characters move and talk. We learned to tell our stories in small steps
- We are learning from authors how to show excitement (...) and use bold words
- We have been learning different reading strategies to help with comprehension, accuracy, fluency and vocabulary. Here are some we have learned
- Continued to solve story problems following these steps
- Ask is there more or less
- Write a starting equation (ex. 4 + 2 = box)
- Show your work
- Write an ending equation (ex. 4 + 2 = 6)
- Label your answer
- Continued learning how you can show more than one combination by playing a variety of games
- Worked on solving for unknowns by playing games with missing parts
- Started math centers
- Read several books about Christopher Columbus
- Looked at maps to follow his voyage
- Wrote facts we learned about Columbus