- Conference sign up is on the top tab of the blog. Please be sure to sign up for a slot for your child.
- On October 30th we will have our Halloween parade at 9:30. We will have our Halloween party in the afternoon. Please send your child's costume to school in their backpack.
- Introduced word work center. Students have been sorting words and building words. Choices for this center will continue to grow.
- Talked about two reading strategies:
- Talked about character traits. We learned that we can look at characters actions, words and feelings to describe their traits. We tried it on ourselves!
- Continued to work on tapping and blending three-sound short vowel words.
- Introduced the trick words (high frequency) the, a, and, is, his & of. These need to be read and spelled correctly.
- Introduced the digraphs wh, ch, sh, th & ck. Digraphs are two consonants that work together to make one new sound.
- In writer's workshop we learned the difference between watermelon and seed stories. We learned to zoom in.
- Worked with partners to plan our stories
- Took a "museum walk" and looked at our friends stories to celebrate the first bend of our writing.
- Learned addition strategies to help solve problems: count on 1, 2, 3, count on using the number line, doubles, near doubles, facts with 5 on a tens frame, facts to make 10 on a tens frame.
- Learned that you can change the order of the addends and still have the same sum.
- Learned subtraction strategies to help solve problems: count back 1, 2, 3 & count back on a number line.
- Read two stories about Johnny Appleseed. Looked at how the authors illustrated the details in different ways. One told a tall tale version.
- Read and learned about how Christopher Columbus discovered a new world.