- Don't forget to send Booktime books in to school on Wednesday's. If we don't do it Wednesday we always do it Thursday.
- Take a peek at the math tab at the top of the blog. I put some of the links to math games that they have been using this year.
Here is a peek at just a few of the things we have been up to:
- We had a visit from the author Melissa Stewart. She writes nonfiction texts. We learned how important it is to make sure that the pictures match the text. It took her 10 years to write No Monkeys, No Chocolate.
- We had another fun hour with Kibo! This time the students were given 2 additional coding blocks; singing and respond to sound. They could program Kibo to start with a clap. Some kids even took the challenge of getting Kibo to go under the bookcase or chair.
- We finished up a fun unit on presidents. We took time to ask questions, We went to the library and found books we could use. Mrs. Groden taught us about Pebble Go; a data base of information that we could use. We read stories and even wrote letters to the president (or POTUS). Then found a way that we could teach our information using organized writing. here is a picture of our "questions and facts door".
- We wrapped up a nonfiction writing unit. The kids have come so far in writing a teaching book including things like: tables of contents, introductions, different kinds of chapters and conclusions. No we are on to our next unit of study...opinion writing!
- In Math we have been spending a great deal of time talking about place value. This has been building all year and I am amazed at what a great job they are doing solving two digit and two digit addition equations. They are able to show their thinking in so many ways; drawing the blocks, using an open number line and writing equations to match their mental math equations.